Patna City in 18th Century
Pen and ink drawing by Sir Charles D'Oyly (1781-1845)
The market place of Patna city which in in front of Eastern Gateway of the city. It's a Pen and ink drawing by Sir Charles D'Oyly (1781-1845)
A bungalow attached to the house of Maharaja Mitrajit Singh at Patna in Bihar. It's also a Pen and ink drawing by Sir Charles D'Oyly (1781-1845).
'The riverat Buxar - Ganges in the foreground with part of Lord Moira's Fleet'. Buxar a city of Bihar was a famous site of the Battle of Buxar in year 1764 when Nawab Shuja ud-Daula of Avadh was defeated by Sir Hector Munro.
The main attraction of Bankipore was the Maidan (Field), around which were a large number of very fine European residences, standing in well-laid-out gardens and grounds sloping to the brink of the river Ganga There was also the Gola (Presently,Golghar) a wondrous bell-shaped building, one hundred feet high, with a winding outer staircase leading to the top, and a small entrance door at the base. This monstrous mass of brick- work, was intended for a granary, to be filled when there was any expectation of famine, but the plan was found to be both politically and materially impracticable. After the terrible famine in the neighbourhood in 1770, it was determined by the Government of the day that a storehouse should be built in which grain could be kept for relief purposes in the future, but the outcome of that really praiseworthy project was the construction of a building which, on completion, was found to be absolutely useless. This brick structure, known as ” The Gola” was built in the shape of an ordinary straw beehive, and it was intended that grain should be poured through an aperture at the top and that when it was required it should be drawn from doors in the wall on the level of the ground floor.
Water colour drawing depicting Vaishnava and Shaivite priests conducting worship inside the Baijnath temple of Deoghar. The Baijnath temple is one of the 12 jyotirlingas of India and is a temple dedicated to Shiva, located at Deogarh in the Santal Parganas region of Bihar.
Temple of Madanpur located 80 miles away from patna city.
A View of the inside of Zananah
Old and very rare painting of Chat Celebration on Ganga Ghat. Women are shown standing in the river offerning fruits either to the sun or to the water.
These caves are situated in the twin hills of Barabar (four caves) and Nagarjuni (three caves) – caves of the 1.6 km distant Nagarjuni Hill sometimes are singled out as Nagarjuni Caves.These rock-cut chambers date back to the 3rd century BC, Maurya period, of Ashoka (r. 273 BC to 232 BC.) and his son, Dasaratha.Though Buddhists themselves, they allowed various Jain sects to flourish under a policy of religious tolerance.These caves were used by ascetics from the Ajivika sect, founded by Makkhali Gosala, a contemporary of Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism, and of Mahavira, the last and 24th Tirthankara of Jainism. Also found at the site were several rock-cut Buddhist and Hindu sculptures.